Have you ever wondered just HOW socially responsible the companies you frequent are? Maybe you know the histories of a few, (we all know we shouldn’t shop at Wal-Mart) but wouldn’t it be great to have a database standing by to let you know what you SHOULD know about the companies you support? Do they pollute the environment? Break child labor laws? Assert political influence?
I understand the power of my wallet – I think most Americans do. But more often than not, we just don’t do our homework. After all, where do you start?
The folks at knowmore.org have made it just a little bit easier. Knowmore.org maintains a database of major corporations and any known issues – including workers’ rights abuses, human rights abuses, environmental concerns, and issues of political influence and business ethics. The database already has information on over 200 companies, and it contains praise as well as criticism.
That’s all well and good. But again, who wants to research a company everytime they run to the store? The question again becomes a matter of getting the information out there.
Again, Knowmore.org steps up to the plate with their FireFox extension (more information and download here). A quick and simple download can help you become more socially conscious as you surf the web. The extension has three main features:
1) Company Website Alerts – if you navigate to the page of Company X and they are in the Knowmore database, an aleart will appear at the top of your FireFox browser.
2) Search Engine Integration- now when you search for brands, or products, Knowmore will display icons next to those companies’ URLs in the search results
3) Amazon Integration – Alongside products in the online amazon.com catalog, Knowmore icons will be displayed next to any corporation that appears in the database.
This tool is very easy to integrate and use in your daily activities and personally, I look forward to learning more about the companies and products I use.
Great next steps…
– where to write an organization if their business practices are unseemly- a link would be great!
– socially responsible alternatives, although this might be the job of an advertiser, not necessarily Knowmore
What else? Would this make you change your shopping habits? What would make it easier to do something with your new-found knowledge?